Sunday, July 13, 2008

Foley 200 Saw Filer Sighting!

Sorry, no pics, but I did see one. Kind of like finding Saskwatch. I knew it existed, but no one has ever seen one in person!

For those of you looking for the manual for this machine, no worries, we've got you covered. It is somewhat of a hybrid between the old Foley 387 / F-61 and the new 387 / SF-1000 models.

The feed mechanism is exactly the same as on the newer machines, so read that manual for how to adjust the 'jointing guide' and feed rate. It also has the same spring loaded file holder as the new machines.

The angle adjustment for fleam (when you're sharpening a crosscut saw) is the same as the old 387 and F-61. The old machines have you line up the angle with the left hand side of the bar (see the manual). The new machines have a pointer in the middle of the bar. The Foley 200 has you line it up on the left. I'll post pics if you're confused. Post a comment if you want to see what I'm talking about.

My impression of the model 200 is that it is a bit of a Minotaur. Half man, half bull. It has the head of the SF-1000 on the body of the F-61. It will do the job, but it has the worst of both machines.

The best part about the new 387 and SF-1000 is that they're balanced with the motor in the back so that they won't fall off your bench if you take your hand off of them for 10 seconds.

The best part of the old F-61 and 387 is that you can rig them up to run 5" files if you want to sharpen very fine teeth. That's a bit tricker with the new spring-loaded file holders.

I still wanted to buy this machine but I had to leave the auction because the auctioneer was soooo slow. It even had 5 carrier bars! What a find.

So, if you were the lucky winner this sawfiler at the auction in Maybee, Michigan, let us know what you think.

15 comments:

  1. how does this 200 compare to the 282? (i think thats my mosel#

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, if you're still out there give me a holler. I've got a 200 manual for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dgdubya,
    Do you have it in pdf or hard copy? Either way, I'd love to get it posted up here. Shoot me an email. Thanks!
    matt [at] GreenestEgg [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, if you can deal with the freight I know of a 200 for sale in southern ca.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just acquired a 200 and retoother. Spent some time knocking the dirt dauber nest out of the motor then gave it a test run, it works! Now I just need to figure out how to use it. I have the manual so it should not be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a 200, manual and some files, I can make a PDF of it for others

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to be able to acquire a copy of the manual for a Foley Automatic Saw Filer Model 200 serial number 20131. Any hep would be appreciated. Thanks

      Delete
    2. I've got the model 200 and the retoother.just would like a manual.

      Delete
  7. I just picked up a 200 and would like to get a manual in PDF. I also have a 3200 retoother & a 52000 power setter that I could use information on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it still possible to get a copy of the manual for a Foley Automatic Saw Filer Model 200 serial number 20131?

      Delete
  8. I would like to be able to acquire a copy of the manual for a Foley Automatic Saw Filer Model 200 serial number 20131

    ReplyDelete
  9. Foley 200 Automatic Saw Filer Manual in PDF. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/319/20491.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a foley automatic saw filer model 200 I would like to sell. Does anyone know the worth?

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are direct-drive versions with the blade on the left side of the saw. These are not as common in hardware stores, or even online, but they do have a growing fan base. latest pole saw

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a Foley model 200 with electric motor I'm looking to get rid of if interested 5074759429

    ReplyDelete